Feb 26 2009
Lutzville Winery in the OlifantΓò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö£├╗s River wine region has launched its maiden Sauvignon Ros╬ô├╢┬ú╬ô├«├ë 2008, a blend of Sauvignon Blanc and Cabernet Sauvignon, under the African Ethos label. According to Gideon Theron, Lutzville WineryΓò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö£├╗s cellarmaster, this wine is based on the unique Sauvignon Blanc characters found in grapes from the Lutzville region, hence the 95% Sauvignon Blanc component. The remaining 5% is of Cabernet Sauvignon.
Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├║LutzvilleΓò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö£├╗s best Sauvignon Blanc comes from the Koekenaap area, which is some six kilometres from the Atlantic Ocean,Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├æ says Theron. Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├║The vines are chilled by icy night-time breezes from the sea, and cool mist is a rule rather than an exception. This leads to superb expression of Sauvignon Blanc character: bracing herbaceousness, grassy undertones end racy citrus flavours.Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├æ
The dollop of Cabernet Sauvignon, says Theron, adds a backbone to the wine as well as giving it a sensual dark pink hue. Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├║Just as was with the Sauvignon Blanc, the Cabernet Sauvignon originates from specially selected vineyard blocks in the Koekenaap area where we are able to produce a classical Cabernet. The Cabernet was made un-wooded and has mild tannins. Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├æ
Both grape varieties were vinified separately, allowing the respective varietal characteristics to develop fully.
Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├║This being LutzvilleΓò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö£├╗s first African Ethos Sauvignon Ros╬ô├╢┬ú╬ô├«├ë the final blend was a result of lengthy experimentation and much debate,Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├æ says Theron. Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├║We are, however, happy that the final wine shows characters one would expect from a classic ros╬ô├╢┬ú╬ô├«├ë. The Sauvignon BlancΓò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö£├╗s freshness is complemented by the Cabernet SauvignonΓò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö£├╗s satisfying red-fruit flavours and perfume traits on the nose.Γò¼├┤Γö£├ºΓö¼├æ
The wine is best served chilled, and is an ideal accompaniment to Asian dishes, tomato-based pasta dishes, roast chicken and grilled fish.
Recommended retail price: R26,50.